Friday, February 26, 2010

Nothing has ever made me wish for a canine companion quite this much.

Dog on It Dog on It by Spencer Quinn


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
"Love it. Is this the life or what? I ask you?"

The plot is a fairly straightforward PI missing persons case. The twist is that it is told to us throught the POV of Chet, the best K-9 trained (though not certified) partner Bernie could ever want. Chet and Bernie go through a lot together, but they are the most steadfast of partners. While the plot is standard fair and relies a bit much on pure luck, the unfolding through the eyes of a dog (especially a dog who knows things that the humans around him don't) is refreshing. Also refreshing is Chet's exhuberance, his earnestness, his ability to forgive and forget, his love of "his guys" the "nation within a nation" of dogs. I don't know how well this will work as a series, but I really enjoyed this on audiobook and suggest it to anyone who loves mystery/crime fiction and/or dogs.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. have you read "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? I wasn't sure about it, as I know next to nothing about auto racing, but it was really great. The narrator, Enzo (the dog), definitely made it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete